Tuesday, July 1, 2014

WHAT TO DO WITH ALL THOSE BLUEBERRIES

bb01bb02

bb03bb04

we went blue berry pickin! two gallons of blue berries doesn’t look like very much in the buckets but when you get them home & start spreading them out & deciding what to do with them, it seems like a whole lot more than you were thinking when you picked them lol!

bb05

I spread out two baking sheets full & flash froze them over night for future pancakes, overnight French toast, muffins anything that involves fresh blueberries  etc.& canned the rest in  a light syrup, our two gallons  gave us 8 pints & 4 quart baggies

bb06 10522414_4349875520648_1938896406568067561_n[1]

my light syrup is a simple recipe I’d found on line a few years ago & have used it ever since when I can fruit, it’s just the right amount of sweetness when you make cobblers you’re adding sugar

LIGHT SYRUP

3 parts water to 1 part sugar

this means you’ll be adding 1 cup of sugar to every 3 cups of water

fill fruit to the rim of  clean jars

bring syrup water to a boil,

keeping it hot, ladle over blueberries

wipe off excess from jar mouths & add seals that has been  setting in hot water

with a butter knife go down  the edges to remove air bubbles

this will prevent  exploding in the caner lol!

place jars in canner & process 15 min after  you hear the rumbling of the water

 

of all the years I’ve canned I’ve always snatched them out & flipped them upside down to assure  sealing, which works & I still do sometimes but I recently came across a blogger  who talked about  the popping they make when they seal, yea I know that sounds crazy to get excited  waiting for the pop pop lol! 

No comments: